Monday, 13 October 2014

Sources from Wikipedia and using Zotero

Hello how are you surviving this crazily busy time of the year handling with your mid-term exams/reports and preparation for ICU festival? I am managing things much better than a few weeks ago.

I was very surprised and glad to know that there is a rating system in Wekipedia. Last ARW teacher said we could not use sources from Wekipedia, so I was always struggling to not to get any information from it. I was only looking at the references part of wiki pages to see if there is any resource maybe I can use for my essay. Now that I know the information from Wikipedia can be reliable, I will restart using it! I tried to find a FA class page that is related to my essay topic but it was really hard. Most of the page did not even have any status. The only page I could find which somehow relate to my essay topic, which is about womenomics in Japan, was a page named "Japan". Therefore I imagine that there IS a possibility that we can use wekipedia sources for our essay but it is going to be really difficult to find a page that is high classed.

I also learned how to use Zotero again, including the way to cite a in text citation. Here is my work.

Newspaper Source
          Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerc. Irure dolor in reprehend incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. “Very important quote here”(Mie). Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse molestaie cillum. Tia non ob ea soluad incommod quae egen ium improb fugiend. Officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum Et harumd dereud.


Book Source
  Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerc. Irure dolor in reprehend incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. “Very important quote here”(Sugimoto). Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse molestaie cillum. Tia non ob ea soluad incommod quae egen ium improb fugiend. Officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum Et harumd dereud.



Works Cited
Mie, Ayako. “Maternity Leave, Day Care Still Elude Many Working Mothers.” The Japan Times Online 18 June 2013. Japan Times Online. Web. 4 Oct. 2014.
Sugimoto, Yoshio. An Introduction to Japanese Society. 3rd ed. Cambridge; Port Melbourne, Vic.: Cambridge University Press, 2010. Print.

Zotero worked well for in text citation. However, for works cited part, Zotero did not do well with the book source. When I just copied and pasted the source, the works cited for the book included Japanese words. It said "3版" instead of "3rd ed.". It may be because it was an English book written by a Japanese author. So I had to change that part, but everything else smoothly worked out. How useful Zotero is for you after having today's lecture? For me, today's lecture made so much more sense than the last lecture and have a feeling that Zotero is going to help me from the next essay.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Makko! I'm also surviving this semester and now finally I'm getting used to the time management. This lecture was very interesting and useful for me too and learning shortcut keys was one of the most exciting parts :) I also want to try to continue using those tools for my next essay! Mana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I also thought the shortcut key was fun but I think I can never remember all the shortcut keys.

      Delete
  2. Makko:) I am glad you're managing your schedule better than few weeks ago! I am also struggling a lot with so many assignments but university is a fun place after all! I'm enjoying the business actually lol For me it was also difficult to find out FA rated articles. I hope I can find one for the next essay. I hope we can all get used to Zotero and some other techs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi makko! Yeah, it was surprising for me too to know about rating sysem in wiki! And it was so hard for me to find FA article for my topuc either...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Makko. our last like-a-storm week was over !! But the 2nd essay is coming to u s day by day.ouch We should MANAGE TIME NOW!!
    Zotero is perhaps not good at citing an edition number. I got the same trouble before. To notice such mistakes, we may have to get used to adding citations without an automatic tool first. I wish there were a by far easier adding-citations application.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. Think of making a strawberry cake - you can't make a good strawberry cake with bad strawberries in it. So when entering things into Zotero if the entry contains Japanese or all CAPS TITLES or anything else unusual this is like a bad strawberry in your Zotero cake as it will make he works cited using these errors.

    ReplyDelete